|Repository:||Georgia Historical Society|
|Creator:||Harrup, James M.|
|Title:||James M. Harrup land grant|
|Extent:||0.05 cubic feet (1 folder)|
James M. Harrup lived in Walker's District of Greene County, Georgia, during the 1830s.
This collection consists of a land grant, dated April 1, 1833, for Lot No. 801 of 40 acres in the 12th District, 1st Section of Cherokee County, Georgia. The grant, by Governor Wilson Lumpkin, states this grant is in pursuance of the act of the General Assembly, "an Act to lay out the Gold Region in the Lands, at present in the occupancy of the Cherokee Indians, into small lots, and dispose of the same by separate Lottery." In the late 1820s, gold was discovered in the Cherokee territories of northern Georgia. The "gold rush" that ensued led to land lotteries in 1832 and 1833 for 40-acre "gold districts," sold for ten dollars a parcel.
[item identification], James M. Harrup land grant, MS 370, Georgia Historical Society, Savannah, Georgia.
Collection is open for research.
Copyright has not been assigned to the Georgia Historical Society. All requests for permission to publish or quote from manuscripts must be submitted in writing to the Division of Library and Archives. Permission for publication is given on behalf of the Georgia Historical Society as the owner of the physical items and is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which must also be obtained by the researcher.