|Repository:||Georgia Historical Society|
|Creator:||Gibbons, William, 1726-1800.|
|Title:||William Gibbons land grant|
|Extent:||0.05 cubic feet (1 folder)|
William Gibbons (1726-1800) was a Savannah, Georgia planter and lawyer. Trained in Charleston under the lawyer, Mr. Parsons, he returned to Savannah to practice law. He owned a rice plantation along the Savannah River in Newington Village. During the Revolutionary War, he was a member of the party that broke into the British magazine in Savannah. Although he never bore arms during the war, he was continuously in civil service and served as a member of the Provincial Congress in 1775. Gibbons was a delegate for the District of Acton to the Continental Congress from 1784-1786, and a member of the Georgia legislature, 1785-1789. In 1789, he presided over the Georgia State Convention for ratification of the Constitution. He was an Associate Justice of the Court of Chatham County in 1786. Gibbons and his wife, Sarah, had ten children including Barach, Joseph, William, and Sarah. His daughter, Sarah, later married Edward Telfair.
The William Gibbons land grant was issued by George II to William Gibbons on March 5, 1756 for 365 acres in Newington Village, District of Savannah, Province of Georgia. The grant was signed by Governor John Reynolds and includes the attached survey plat.
[item identification], William Gibbons land grant, MS 303, Georgia Historical Society, Savannah, Georgia.
Collection is open for research.
Copyright has not been assigned to the Georgia Historical Society. All requests for permission to publish or quote from manuscripts must be submitted in writing to the Division of Library and Archives. Permission for publication is given on behalf of the Georgia Historical Society as the owner of the physical items and is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which must also be obtained by the researcher.
|Land grant, George II to William Gibbons, Savannah, Georgia, 1756 March 5 ( 2.0 p. )|
|Signed by John Reynolds, Governor. Attached plat signed by Henry Yonge and William DeBraham, Surveyors General. The grant is for 365 acres in the District of Savannah, Province of Georgia.|