|Repository:||Georgia Historical Society|
|Creator:||Georgia Infirmary (Savannah, Ga.)|
|Title:||Georgia Infirmary Records|
|Extent:||6.25 cubic feet (19 volumes, 1 folder)|
The Georgia Infirmary was chartered December 24, 1832 for the care of infirm and aged African American people. It was the first hospital in the United States founded for African American people, though it was operated solely by whites. The Georgia Infirmary was established under a grant in the will of Thomas F. Williams, a Baptist minister and landowner. The original hospital was on the grounds of the Bethesda Orphanage, about ten miles outside of Savannah, Georgia. The institution was moved to Abercorn Street in Savannah in 1838, where it remained until its closing in 1973. During the Civil War, the hospital's buildings were destroyed, and the new hospital reopened in 1871. The Georgia Infirmary established the first nursing school for blacks in the United States, which operated from 1906 until the 1930s. A 100th Anniversary ceremony was held in 1933 at which a bronze tablet was unveiled commemorating the hospital's unique history. In 1964, the hospital admitted whites for the first time in an attempt to counteract the loss of patients following integration. The Georgia Infirmary closed in November 1973 due to a decrease in referrals and therefore patients. In 1974, a stroke rehabilitation center was opened in the building using the name, The Georgia Infirmary.
This collection contains minute books, patient registers, birth records, and miscellaneous administrative materials. The minute books (5 volumes), January 15, 1833-October 10, 1960, contain minutes, treasurer reports, resolutions and newspaper clippings.
Patient registers (13 volumes) contain the names, addresses, date of admission, date of discharge, age, nativity, occupation, diagnosis, doctor, births, and deaths of patients admitted to the hospital from 1911 to 1973. The birth records are contained in one volume that dates from 1945 to 1956.
One folder of miscellaneous administrative papers includes minutes of the board of trustees, report of the superintendent for 1947, 1948, and 1949, hospital accounts and staff lists, articles pertaining to the hospital's operation during the 1940s, and a history of the Georgia Infirmary since 1833.
[item identification], Georgia Infirmary Records, MS 301, Georgia Historical Society, Savannah, Georgia.
5 volumes and 1 folder of minutes, gift of Clarence A. Williams and Albert H. Stoddard, 1971. Patient and birth records, gift of Clarence A. Williams, 1983.
Collection is open for research.
Copyright has not been assigned to the Georgia Historical Society. All requests for permission to publish or quote from manuscripts must be submitted in writing to the Division of Library and Archives. Permission for publication is given on behalf of the Georgia Historical Society as the owner of the physical items and is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which must also be obtained by the researcher.
Minute Books, 1833-1960
|1||1833 January 15-1891 July 27|
|2||1892 January 4-1915 April 5|
|3||1916 January 26-1926 October 4|
|4||1927 January 3-1933 October 2|
|5||1951 July 24-1960 October 10|
Patient Registers, 1911-1973
|1||1911 May-1920 December|
|2||1921 January-1927 December|
|3||1928 January-1935 October|
|4||1935 November-1941 December|
|5||1942 January-1946 December|
|6||1947 January-1951 May|
|7||1951 June-1954 August|
|8||1954 September-1957 September|
|9||1957 October-1961 October|
|10||1961 November-1965 February|
|11||1965 February-1968 Juy|
|12||1968 August-1972 December|
|13||1973 January-October 26|
Birth Records, 1945-1956
|1||Birth Records, 1945-1956|
|1||Correspondence, 1941-1950; minutes and reports, 1947-1951; financial statements, 1946-1950, 1941-1950|