|Repository:||Georgia Historical Society|
|Creator:||Georgia. Georgia Hussars.|
|Title:||Georgia Hussars collection|
|Extent:||0.15 cubic feet (3 folders)|
General James Oglethorpe organized the Georgia Hussars in 1736 to protect the colony of Georgia. The Georgia Hussars fought in all wars through Vietnam, and today are part of the Georgia National Guard. Immediately after the War of 1812, the Chatham Light Dragoons and the Chatham Hussars merged into the Georgia Hussars. They remained a cavalry regiment from their founding until 1940.
This collection primarily contains correspondence between Francis P. McIntire, Captain of the Georgia Hussars, and James Adger, Captain of the Charleston Light Dragoons, concerning competitive drills, 1907-1909. The collection also includes cavalry drill regulations, and a partial list of members.
[item identification], Georgia Hussars collection, MS 300, Georgia Historical Society, Savannah, Georgia.
Gift of Mrs. Francis P. McIntire, 1951.
Collection is open for research.
Copyright has not been assigned to the Georgia Historical Society. All requests for permission to publish or quote from manuscripts must be submitted in writing to the Division of Library and Archives. Permission for publication is given on behalf of the Georgia Historical Society as the owner of the physical items and is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which must also be obtained by the researcher.
|1||1-48||Correspondence, 1907 March 21-1908 May 19|
|2||49-87||Correspondence, 1909 February 16-April 30|
|3||88-115||Correspondence, 1909 May 9-June 1|
|Cavalry drill regulations; partial list of members of Georgia Hussars.|
|A-0300-001 Silver plate engraved "Georgia Hussars" on the backside View online.|