|Repository:||Georgia Historical Society|
|Creator:||Georgia. Superior Court.|
|Title:||Georgia Superior Court Judicial Circuit Judges proceeding|
|Extent:||0.05 cubic feet (1 folder)|
The Georgia Constitution of 1789 established a superior court as the judicial branch of state government. Divided into different circuits, an Act of February 9, 1797, required that the judges from each circuit should meet annually at Louisville (then the capital of Georgia) on July 10th.
This collection consists of a record of cases argued and adjudged at Louisville, 1796, before William Stephens, Judge of the Eastern Judicial Circuit, William Few, Judge of the Middle Judicial Circuit, and Benjamin Taliaferro of the Western Judicial Circuit. While an act of February 9, 1797, required judges to meet annually, this paper is clearly dated January 10-16, 1797. This paper is a record of the proceedings of the meeting and is listed under the title written on the back cover.
[item identification], Georgia Superior Court Judicial Circuit Judges record, MS 288, Georgia Historical Society, Savannah, Georgia.
Collection is open for research.
Copyright has not been assigned to the Georgia Historical Society. All requests for permission to publish or quote from manuscripts must be submitted in writing to the Division of Library and Archives. Permission for publication is given on behalf of the Georgia Historical Society as the owner of the physical items and is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which must also be obtained by the researcher.
|Cases argued and adjudged at Louisville, before the 3 Judges, 1797 July ( 10.0 p. )|
|Attested "a true copy from the Record, J.L. Dixon, Clk."|