|Repository:||Georgia Historical Society|
|Creator:||Georgia. Capitol Commission.|
|Title:||Georgia Capitol Commission agreement|
|Extent:||0.05 cubic feet (1 folder)|
In 1786, a committee appointed by the legislature chose Louisville, Georgia, as the location of the state's third capital. After ten years of construction, the capitol building in Louisville was completed. The Capitol Commission handled all architectural and grounds-keeping matters regarding the capitol. A vote in 1804 moved the capital of Georgia to the town of Milledgeville.
The collection consists of articles of agreement between Capitol Commissioners Nicholas Long, John Lewis, and Michael Shelman, and carpenter Michael Schley regarding a fence to surround the state house square in Louisville, 1797.
[item identification], Georgia. Capitol Commission agreement, MS 279, Georgia Historical Society, Savannah, Georgia.
Collection is open for research.
Copyright has not been assigned to the Georgia Historical Society. All requests for permission to publish or quote from manuscripts must be submitted in writing to the Division of Library and Archives. Permission for publication is given on behalf of the Georgia Historical Society as the owner of the physical items and is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which must also be obtained by the researcher.
|Articles of agreement between Nicholas Long, John Lewis, Michael Shelman, Capitol Commissioners, and Michael Schley, carpenter, for building a fence around the state house square, Louisville, Georgia, 1797 December 2 ( 4.0 p. )|
|This document is a copy.|