Georgia Committee of Correspondence letter book
New Search | Return to Search Results | View/Save/Print PDF

Georgia Committee of Correspondence letter book

Descriptive Summary

Repository: Georgia Historical Society
Creator: Georgia Committee of Correspondence.
Title: Georgia Committee of Correspondence letter book
Dates: 1762-1771
Extent: 0.2 cubic feet (2 folders)
Identification: MS 0276

Biographical/Historical Note

The Committee of Correspondence was established by an ordinance passed by the General Assembly, February 19, 1762. William Knox was appointed the "Agent Assistant to Sollicit the Affairs of this Province in Great Britain." The Committee was composed of members of the General Assembly. Charles Garth succeeded William Knox as Agent in January 1766 and was dismissed in March 1768. Benjamin Franklin succeeded Garth and served until the outbreak of the Revolutionary War.


Scope and Content Note

This collection consists of the letter book, 1762-1771, of the Committee of Correspondence. The letter book concerns various matters in Georgia. The first few pages of it are missing but photocopies were acquired of the missing section from the Peter Force copy in the Library of Congress. The remaining original portion is very fragile and should be handled with great care.


Index Terms

Georgia Committee of Correspondence.
Georgia--Politics and government--To 1775.
Georgia--Social life and customs--To 1775.
Letter books.

Location of Originals

Copies of missing pages from the Peter Force copy in the Library of Congress.


Administrative Information

Custodial History

Unknown.

Preferred Citation

[item identification], Georgia Committee of Correspondence letter book, MS 276, Georgia Historical Society, Savannah, Georgia.

Acquisition Information

Unknown.


Restrictions

Access Restrictions

Collection is open for research.

Publication Rights

Copyright has not been assigned to the Georgia Historical Society. All requests for permission to publish or quote from manuscripts must be submitted in writing to the Division of Library and Archives. Permission for publication is given on behalf of the Georgia Historical Society as the owner of the physical items and is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which must also be obtained by the researcher.


Publication Note

Published in the Georgia Historical Quarterly, XXXVI (September 1952), 250-256.


Sponsorship

Encoding funded by a 2012 Documenting Democracy grant from the National Historical Publications and Records Commission.