|Repository:||Georgia Historical Society|
|Creator:||Ettwein, John, 1721-1802.|
|Title:||John Ettwein report and map|
|Extent:||0.05 cubic feet (1 folder)|
John Ettwein (1721-1802) was a Moravian missionary in Germany, Holland, and England before coming to the American colonies in 1754 with a group of 50 Moravians. Ettwein was involved in various missions among the Native Americans in the middle colonies, including Georgia. In 1763, he was placed in charge of all Moravian work in North Carolina, and was responsible for the church's property in South Carolina and Georgia. During the Revolutionary War he was pronounced a Loyalist for his refusal to fight and was imprisoned in Easton, Pennsylvania. After his release, he acted as a representative of the Moravians in negotiations with the Continental Congress and the Pennsylvania Assembly. In 1785, he persuaded Congress to set aside 12,000 acres in Tascarawas Valley, Ohio as a reservation for converted natives. In 1784, Ettwein was appointed Bishop and presided over the Moravian Church of North America until his death in 1802.
This collection pertians to the Moravian Church's land holdings in Savannah, Georgia, in 1762 and 1765. Photocopies of Ettwein's report to the Moravian Brethren in Bethlehem, Pennsylvania, in German and a translation of the report describe Ettwein's business tour of the Savannah area in April 1762 for the Brethren's interests. Along with a description of the Moravian Brethren's lots, one "400 paces from the anchorage of a ship," Ettwein provides a description of Savannah's buildings, water supply, air quality, port, and the indigo and rice cultivation utilizing African American labor. Ettwein discusses the Salzburgers' efforts in the cultivation of the silkworm at Purrysburg and Ebenezer. A map of the City of Savannah dated July 1765 shows the Moravian lots in Savannah and has been attributed to John Ettwein. The original map is housed in the Moravian Archives, Bethelem, Pennsylvania. A translation of Ettwein's report to the Brethren can be found in the Georgia Historical Society's collection, Moravian Archives collection on the Moravian Church of Savannah (Ga.), 1762-1822, MS 1745.
The original of the map in this collection is located in the Moravian Archives in Pennsylvania.
[Item identification], John Ettwein report and map, MS 239, Georgia Historical Society, Savannah, Georgia.
Item 1 is a gift of the Georgia Historical Commission. Item 2 is a gift of Mills B. Lane, IV, 1969.
Collection is open for research.
Copyright has not been assigned to the Georgia Historical Society. All requests for permission to publish or quote from manuscripts must be submitted in writing to the Division of Library and Archives. Permission for publication is given on behalf of the Georgia Historical Society as the owner of the physical items and is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which must also be obtained by the researcher.
|Report of John Ettwein to the Moravian Brethren, 1762 April 4-1762 April 5|
|In German with English translation.|
|Map of Savannah, Georgia showing Moravian lots, 1765 July|
|This document is a photocopy.|